Contributed by Michael Roberts writing in the Oregonian Foodday, 1/12/93.
- Makes 6 servings
- 4 chicken thighs or 1½ lbs chicken pieces
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 2 ribs celery, finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, finely diced
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 3 cup chicken broth or water
- 2 cup apple juice or cider
- ½ cup dried lentils
- salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp dried dill weed
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 cup chopped peeled apples
- 12 sprigs fresh cilantro
- Place chicken, skin side down, in soup pot and add onions, celery and carrots.
- Sprinkle with curry powder.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
- Add broth, apple juice, lentils, salt and cayenne, and cook 20 minutes.
- Add potatoes and dill and cook 20 minutes longer.
- The soup may be made up to a day in advance to this point.
- Cool, cover and refrigerate.
- Just before serving, reheat soup over medium heat.
- Whisk in yogurt and add apples.
- Pour soup into tureen.
- Garnish with cilantro sprigs and serve immediately.
- A plate of sliced papaya and avocado with some lemon juice spooned over will complement the soup perfectly.
Nutritional information Edit
- 333 calories (22 percent from protein, 62 percent from carbohydrate and 16 percent from fat) | 18 grams protein | 53 grams carbohydrate | 6 grams fat | 29 milligrams cholesterol | 175 milligrams sodium.
- Exchanges: 1½ vegetable | 1 fruit | 1½ bread | 1½ meat | ½ fat.