Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by Michael Roberts writing in the Oregonian Foodday, 1/12/93.
- Makes 6 servings
- 4 chicken thighs or 1½ lbs chicken pieces
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 2 ribs celery, finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, finely diced
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 3 cup chicken broth or water
- 2 cup apple juice or cider
- ½ cup dried lentils
- salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp dried dill weed
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 cup chopped peeled apples
- 12 sprigs fresh cilantro
- Place chicken, skin side down, in soup pot and add onions, celery and carrots.
- Sprinkle with curry powder.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
- Add broth, apple juice, lentils, salt and cayenne, and cook 20 minutes.
- Add potatoes and dill and cook 20 minutes longer.
- The soup may be made up to a day in advance to this point.
- Cool, cover and refrigerate.
- Just before serving, reheat soup over medium heat.
- Whisk in yogurt and add apples.
- Pour soup into tureen.
- Garnish with cilantro sprigs and serve immediately.
- A plate of sliced papaya and avocado with some lemon juice spooned over will complement the soup perfectly.
Nutritional information Edit
- 333 calories (22 percent from protein, 62 percent from carbohydrate and 16 percent from fat) | 18 grams protein | 53 grams carbohydrate | 6 grams fat | 29 milligrams cholesterol | 175 milligrams sodium.
- Exchanges: 1½ vegetable | 1 fruit | 1½ bread | 1½ meat | ½ fat.