- ¼ tsp saffron threads
- 3 cardamom pods, cracked
- 2 tablespoons rose water
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 6 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ¼ cup of ghee (butter may be substituted)
- In a small bowl put saffron, rose water and the cardamom.
- Sort rice and wash until the water runs clear.
- In a large heavy pan boil the 6 cups of water.
- Stir in the salt and the rice.
- Return water to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Boil uncovered for 8 minutes.
- Pour sugar onto the hot rice and mix well.
- Melt the ghee in the same pan the rice was cooked.
- Add the rice with sugar.
- Sprinkle the rose water and spices on top of the rice.
- Using the end of a wooden spoon, make 3 small holes in the rice.
- Cover the pan with a paper towel and place lid tightly on top.
- Cook over low heat about 20 minutes, until done.