Estonian sauerkraut side dish. Sauerkraut stew with pork, served with boiled potatoes. This one also turned out to be popular with the participants, one of whom slyly had the remaining portion wrapped up to take home.
- 1 kg sauerkraut
- ½ gl barley groats
- 400 - 500 g bacon
- 1 - 2 onions
- salt, sugar (according to taste)
- Put sauerkraut in a saucepan with barley and meat.
- Cover it with water and stew it under the lid.
- It is important to see that the water does not boil off.
- When it gets hots (a little before boil).
- Add salt and sugar.
- Cut the onions into little cubes and fry them with little fat or oil.
- Add them to the sauerkraut.
- Serve with boiled potatoes or pork.