Stewed green tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 pound of green tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into rounds
- ¼ cup of coarsely chopped celery leaves
- ¼ cup of coarsely chopped parsley
- ¼ cup of water
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, onion, carrots, parsley, celery leaves and the water.
- Cover skillet and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.
- In a mortar with a pestle, pound the garlic with salt until a paste is formed.
- When the vegetables are tender, remove from heat and stir in the garlic paste and pepper to taste.
- Cool to room temperature before serving.