- 1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
- 1 chili pepper, cleaned and chopped (optional)
- 2-3 tbsp cooking oil
- 1-3 Lbs stew meat, cut into one-inch cubes, or Beef short ribs
- 3-4 slightly ripe plantains
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters (optional)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1-2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped (optional)
- several cups of water, or beef broth
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup coconut milk or a large spoonful of butter (optional)
Heat a spoonful of oil in a large pot. Add the meat and cook for about 10 minutes, until it is browned. Add a cup of water (or broth), heat to a boil and cook the meat over high heat for 10–20 minutes.
Add another cup of broth, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until meat is tender. Add water as needed to maintain level of liquid. Add the plantains, potatoes, onions, and tomatoes and enough water to partly cover. Continue to simmer, adding water as necessary.