Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⅓ cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup salsa (homemade, a good store-bought brand, or use the salsa recipe below)
- ½ cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup water
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, to room temperature
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups tomatoes, crushed (or equivalent canned tomatoes)
- 1 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced (I'm thinking less garlic or no garlic for this recipe!?!?)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or 2 teaspoons fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon jalapenos, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In large bowl mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, cloves and allspice.
- Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender.
- Add the salsa, beating 3 minutes with an electric mixer. Next beat in the eggs and water, beating another 3 minutes.
- Grease and flour two 8-inch round cake pans or one large bundt pan. Line the pan(s) with parchment paper.
- Pour in batter evenly into the pan.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Note that the cake may take longer to cook if baked in a bundt pan.
- In the meantime, prepare the cream cheese frosting.
- Beat all ingredients together until smooth. Set aside.
- Cool cake on wire rack then frost with cream cheese frosting.