Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Cake batter Edit
- 4 large eggs, separated
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup + 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
Chocolate ganache filling Edit
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1¼ cups (8 oz) good quality milk chocolate chips
- 1 (4 ounces) good quality semi-sweet chocolate bar, grated, divided use
- 2 tablespoons unsalted pistachios, finely chopped
- 1 (7 ounces) package marzipan paste or almond paste (you might not use all of it)
- green food coloring paste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted pistachios, finely chopped
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 packet vanilla sugar (approximately ¾ tablespoon)
- powdered sugar, to taste only if needed
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry, adding granulated sugar.
- Next, mix in the egg yolks one at a time, just enough to combine.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and cornstarch; gradually and gently fold into the egg mixture to combine - be careful not to deflate the egg whites by over-mixing.
- Line a large nonstick spring-form pan with parchment paper and fill with the batter.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 °F (175 °C or gas mark 2) for 30 minutes - it will only rise up partway.
- Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, heat ½ cup of the cream in a small pan over medium-low heat, then stir in the milk chocolate until it melts and is smooth.
- Remove pan from heat and let cool for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Finely grate the bittersweet chocolate using a microplane grater and divide into two portions.
- Beat 1½ cups of the cream until stiff peaks form.
- Stir chopped nuts and half (one portion) of the grated chocolate gently into the cooled melted chocolate mixture.
- Gently fold together the whipped cream and the cooled melted chocolate mixture until just combined.
- Remove ring from spring-form pan and carefully slice the cake into three even (very thin) layers using a large serrated knife.
- Place one cake layer on a large plate, spread with ⅓ of the chocolate ganache, then top with another cake layer, another layer of ⅓ of the ganache, followed by another cake layer.
- Spread the remaining chocolate ganache mixture all over the top and sides of the cake.
- Chill for 2 hours.
- Knead the marzipan(with enough powdered sugar to make it sweet if unsweetened) until well blended.
- Place marzipan between two sheets of wax paper and roll out into very flat circle, about the size of your spring-form pan.
- Set a plate on top of the marzipan and use the plate as a guide to cut out a perfect circle; then cut circle into 16 triangles.
- Set the marzipan triangles in a spiral around the top of the chilled cake, pressing down slightly so they stick - there should be very narrow gaps between each triangle - if desired, curl up the pointy tips decoratively first.
- Coat the sides of the cake with some the remaining grated chocolate.
- Beat the remaining ¾ cups of cream with the vanilla sugar to taste until stiff peaks form.
- Shortly before serving, garnish cake with swirls of the whipped vanilla cream, the remaining chopped nuts, and sprinkle any remaining grated chocolate on top.