Mote Lone Yay Paw (Teething Cake) is a popular Burmese cake that is prepared in celebration of a baby’s first tooth.
- 1 cup plain white flour
- l cup rice flour
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon light sesame or corn oil
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 1/2 cup grated palm sugar
- 4 cups coconut milk
- l tablespoon or more Sugar
- Sift white flour, rice flour, salt and baking soda in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Add oil and enough water and knead well to a smooth dough.
- Combine grated coconut and palm suger mixture in the center of flat circles and close to seal the dough together. Roll into a ball again.
- In a large saucepan, boil the coconut milk and sugar. Once boiling, drop in the balls. Stir gently to prevent the balls from sticking to the bottom. The balls will float to the surface when cooked.
- Simmer for 10 minutes after the balls float. Scoop the balls and serve on a plate.