- 8 ounces black turtle beans
- 2 to 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano leaves
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 8 ounces Bacon, finely diced
- 1 cup Spanish Onion, finely diced
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 cups white rice
- Boil 1 gallon water, beans and herbs in 8 quart pot.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes until beans are tender.
- Remove from heat and strain, reserving beans and liquid.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in the pot over high heat, add Bacon and cook for about 3 minutes until crisp, stirring frequently.
- Add Onion and peppers, cooking for 3 more minutes.
- Add garlic, cumin, beans and 4 cups of bean liquid.
- Bring to a boil and stir in salt.
- Add rice.
- With heat on high, stir constantly until most water has evaporated.
- Cover with lid and put in oven for about 25 minutes.