- Ethnicity - Central India
- Type of meal - Party, Lunch, Dinner
- 1½ cups moong dal (soaked)
- 1½ litre milk
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup mawa (well crumpled)
- ½ tsp saffron soaked in a little milk
- 5 cardamoms (powdered)
- 6 tbsp ghee
- Grind moong dal coarsley.
- Heat ghee in a thick bottomed dekchi and fry the dal till golden.
- Add milk and cook till the milk has been absorbed.
- Add mawa and cook on a low fire, stirring continuously till the dal and the mawa are well blended. Remove from the fire and keep aside.
- Make sugar syrup of one thread consistency, add saffron and cardamom powder to it.
- Add the fried dal to the syrup and stir quickly till it mixes well.
- If you want you can add thin silvers of blanched almonds.