For the veggie mixture
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups peeled and chopped cucumbers
- boiling water (to cook the veggies)
For the Lentil mixture
- 1 cup water (for cooking the Lentils)
- 1/3 cup yellow lentils (moong dal)
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
- For the coconut paste
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, plus
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 red chile
- little water
- 5 curry leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon urad dal (skinned and split black gram)
- Add chopped carrots and cucumbers to enough boiling water to cover, with a little salt, in medium saucepan, and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender.
- While the veggies are cooking, boil 1 cup of water and add the yellow lentils and turmeric to it.
- Simmer for about 15–20 minutes or until soft.
- Grind the shredded coconut, cumin seeds, and red chile in a blender/grinder with a little water to form a paste.
- Add this paste to the cooked veggies.
- Once the Lentils are cooked, add them to the veggie-coconut mixture and mix well.
- Bring the stew to a boil, and add water if it appears too thick.
- Add curry leaves and salt to taste.
- In a small frying pan, heat the oil, and add the mustard seeds and urad dal.
- When the mustard starts to sputter, pour the oil-seed mixture into the stew.
- Stir well and ladle into soup bowls.
- Serve hot with chappatis, rice, tortillas or bread.