Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 2-3 cups dried cowpeas (black-eyed Peas)
- 1 tbsp dried Shrimp powder
- 1-2 tomatoes, (peeled if desired), chopped
- 1-2 onions, chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 chili pepper, chopped, to taste
- cayenne pepper or red pepper, to taste
- oil to grease muffin tin
- Optional Ingredients (a cup of one or more of the following):
- cooked Shrimp, chopped
- cooked carrots, finely chopped
- cooked Peas
- sweet green or red pepper (bell pepper)
- hard-boiled egg
- dried, salted, or smoked ; washed, cleaned and torn into small pieces
- dried Shrimp or prawns, washed and crushed
- canned sardines
- leftover cooked meat, cut into small pieces
- dried or smoked meat, torn into small pieces
- canned corned Beef
Clean the black-eyed Peas in water in a large pot. Cover them with boiling water and soak them overnight. After soaking them, rub them together between your hands to remove the skins. Rinse to wash away the skins and any other debris. Drain them in a colander.
Crush, grind, or mash the black-eyed Peas into a thick paste. Slowly add enough water to form a smooth, thick paste. Beat with a wire whisk or wooden spoon for a few minutes. A tablespoon of oil may be added. In a separate container combine all other ingredients and crush and stir them together until they are thoroughly mixed. Add the other ingredients to the Black-eyed pea paste and stir to make a smooth mixture.
Grease the muffin pans (or tin cans). Scoop the Moi-Moi mixture into the pans, allowing some room for it to rise while cooking. Place the pans in a baking dish partially filled with water. Bake in a medium-hot oven for about a half-hour. Moi-Moi in tin cans can also be steamed in a large covered pot on a stove. Check for doneness with a toothpick or sharp knife. Serve hot or at room temperature.