- Momo can also be cooked in broth and served as a soup.
- They usually are eaten with a tomato or soy based dipping sauce.
- Beef is an acceptable substitute for buffalo in this recipe, as is chicken.
- 1 cup ground or minced buffalo meat
- l large onion, minced
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 2½ cm piece ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon ghee or clarified butter
- ½ teaspoon cumin seed powder
- oil or vegetable oil spray
- 2 cups+ flour
- Grind the spices together and mix with the meat and onion.
- Make a stiff dough by adding enough cold water to the flour and knead.
- Divide the dough into small balls and roll out into thin rounds about 3 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Put a teaspoon of the filling in the center of the round and fold the dough over.
- Pleat or pinch to make a half moon shape, or gather pleats together to make a round shape.
- Place formed momos in a bamboo or metal steamer that has been sprayed or wiped with oil.
- Steam covered over boiling water l0-15 minutes.