- two to three pounds stew meat, cut into large bite-sized pieces
- juice of one lemon, or juice of one-half grapefruit
- salt to taste
- minced chile pepper, or ground cayenne pepper or red pepper (to taste)
- two tablespoons palm oil, or peanut oil or vegetable oil
- two onions, chopped
- six to eight ripe tomatoes, chopped (or canned tomatoes)
- greens (such as spinach, collards, kale, or similar); washed and cut into pieces (optional)
- one cup of moambé or nyembwe sauce, or palm butter (or canned palm soup base, also called "sauce graine" or "noix de palme") -- or -- Peanut butter
- Mix together the meat, juice, salt, and hot pepper. Allow to marinate for a half hour or more.
- Heat the oil in a dutch oven or large pot. Add the onions, and cook for a few minutes. Add the meat and cook until it is browned.
- Add the tomatoes and a few cups of water. Reduce heat.
- Add the palm nut sauce (or canned palm soup base), or Peanut butter, if desired. Add greens (if desired). Cover and simmer on low heat until meat is tender, about an hour.
Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.