This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Vaughan Estate in McKinney, Texas in 1987.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 2 pounds turnip greens
- 2 pounds mustard greens
- 2½ quarts water
- 1 white onion quartered
- 1 pound salt pork cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- Tear off and discard any tough stems from the greens.
- Bring water to a boil in a large kettle and add the onion and salt pork.
- Simmer 30 minutes then add greens, salt and pepper.
- Add 1 teaspoon of the sugar and simmer for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile combine cornmeal, flour, salt and the remaining sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Slowly add the boiling water stirring constantly.
- Add just enough water to make a stiff manageable mixture.
- Wet the palms of the hands then break off bits of cornmeal dough the size of walnuts and shape into balls.
- Drop balls into the boiling greens then cover and continue cooking 30 minutes.