- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 large egg or equivalent egg
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Filling & Topping
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 cup fresh raspberries or blackberries, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/4 cup blueberry or raspberry fruit spread
- 2 Tbs. Sugar
- 3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- vanilla Glaze
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ Sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tsp. low-fat milk or soy milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F. Coat 13 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
3. In medium bowl, whisk together egg and Sugar. Add yogurt, applesauce, oil and vanilla; whisk until blended. Make well in center of reserved flour mixture, add egg mixture and mix with rubber spatula just until dry ingredients are moistened. Reserve 1 cup batter for topping. Spread remaining batter in prepared pan.
4. Make filling and topping: In medium bowl, combine blueberries, raspberries and fruit spread. With rubber spatula, stir gently to coat Berries with fruit spread. Spoon berry filling over batter in pan. Drop mounds of reserved batter by tablespoonfuls over berry filling. In small bowl, combine Sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over top of coffee cake.
5. Bake coffee cake until golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool in pan on wire rack about 30 minutes.
6. Make glaze: Sift confectioners’ Sugar into small bowl. Add vanilla and 2 tsp. milk; whisk to blend. Add just enough additional milk until glaze can be drizzled. Drizzle glaze decoratively over top of coffee cake.