Breads and cereals Edit
1 cup raw:
1 can soup plus 1½ cans milk, broth or water or 2 cups homemade white sauce:
1 pound or 1 cup cooked:
- Chopped beef
- Chopped pork or ham
- Ground beef or turkey
- Cooked dry beans
1½ to 2 cups canned, cooked or raw:
- Green beans
- Lima beans
- Mixed vegetables
- Green pepper
- Whatever you have around
- ½ to 1 cup cheese, shredded can be added at the end of the cooking time.
- Choose one food from each of the four groups above. Stir together in skillet.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, soy sauce, onion flakes, garlic, etc. Choose spices, herbs and seasonings that you enjoy eating.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to lowest setting. Cover pan and simmer 30 minutes until pasta or rice is tender.
- Stir occasionally to prevent rice and pasta from sticking.
- Stir in cheese, if using.
- To bake in oven: mix all ingredients in casserole dish and cover tightly; bake at 350 F for 1 hour.
- The Utah recipe recommends cooking raw meat, poultry or fish before using in recipe. Follow those guidelines.
- Some favorite combinations include:
- Chopped broccoli, cubed ham, rice, Cheddar cheese and mushroom soup.
- Peas, tuna, rice or egg noodles, Cheddar cheese and celery soup.
Sources and Citations Edit
Utah State University Food Extension and various web contributions