Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Lentil stew - Elisabeth Freeman
This is an Ethiopian recipe. Berbere is a traditional Ethiopian spice, which is hard to find in the US (don't know about other countries). If you can't find it, you can fake it. This stew is traditionally served with injera, a sour, flat bread that is used to scoop up the stew
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 2 qt water
- ¼ cup minced shallots
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp berbere
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp onion salt
- additional water as needed
- Cook lentils in boiling water about 35 – 40 minutes, until soft and tender.
- Meanwhile, cook shallots in a dry pan until soft and light brown, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Add garlic and continue stirring.
- Add ¼ cup water, berbere, and olive oil.
- Drain and mash lentils and add to shallot mixture then stir in onion salt.
- Simmer 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- You may need to add more water to keep a consistency similar to oatmeal.
- Serve hot or at room temp.