This tasty sauce is good for many toppings.
Milk-Free Butterscotch from Recipes for Better Nutrition During Cancer Treatment by the National Cancer Institute, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- ¼ cup nondairy creamer
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp milk-free margarine
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Mix brown sugar and cornstarch in small saucepan.
- Slowly add nondairy creamer and water, stirring until cornstarch dissolves.
- Add honey and margarine.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sauce is thickened and comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla.
- Cook and store in a covered container in refrigerator.
For milk-free chocolate sauce, stir in 1 heaping tbsp. cocoa with cornstarch. If too thick, add a little water after it comes to a boil.