Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- Source: Come Into The Kitchen
- Serves 8
- 1½ cups dry navy beans
- 3 quarts water
- ham bone
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce or 2 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- ¼ tbsp oregano
- ¼ tbsp thyme
- ¼ tbsp sweet basil
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 3 whole cloves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash beans, cover with water and let stand overnight.
- Drain beans, cover with water again.
- Bring to a rolling boil and boil one minute.
- Remove from heat and drain.
- Add the 3 quarts of water to the beans along with the ham bone and simmer 2 hours.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer another hour.
- Be careful with salt because of the ham bone.