Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Prepare mussels by scraping shells thoroughly and washing. Pry shells open without disturbing the hinge.
- Clean by removing the black part of the mussel and the beard. Rinse well.
- Soak in cold water while preparing stuffing.
- Fry onions in olive oil until soft.
- Add rice. Cook together gently, covered, for 19 minutes.
- Add boiling water and rest of ingredients. Continue cooking, covered, until liquid is absorbed.
- When cool, stuff each mussel with the rice mixture and tie shut with string.
- Place the mussels in layers in a saucepan, cover with boiling water and place a plate or small lid immediately on top of the mussels to hold them securely in place while they are cooking.
- Put a lid on the saucepan. Cook over a very low fire for half an hour.
- Drain, but leave mussels undisturbed to cool. Remove strings.
- Serve well chilled, with lemon juice.