- Bring 2 cups of water to boil, adding the rice and turmeric.
- Return to a boil, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Cook the lentils in 3 cups of boiling water until soft.
- Saute the onion, pepper, and garlic in olive oil.
- In a large bowl, combine the sauteed vegetables, rice, lentils, almonds and raisins.
- Fill each cabbage leaf with about ½ to ¾ cup filling, beginning at the thick end of the leaf.
- Begin to fold this over, folding the edges in as you go to make a neat roll.
- Place the rolls in one or two casseroles, covering with the sauce.
- To prepare the sauce, combine the tomatoes, vinegar, basil and cinnamon in a large saucepan.
- Adjust the cinnamon/basil mix until it"s hard to taste either seasoning alone, and then add the salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Bake the cabbage rolls covered at 350°F, 45 – 60 minutes.