Mexican sopa de fideos (noodle Soup), from Montréal, Québec
- Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- Serves 4 to 6
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 oz (55 g) spaghetti, vermicelli, or other thin noodle, broken into 2-inch (5 cm) pieces
- 1 x 15-oz (225 g) can tomatoes with their liquid
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 – 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 cups (1.5 l) beef or chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup (60 ml) dry sherry (optional)
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large pot over high heat and saute the broken noodles until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, combine the tomatoes,onion, and garlic in an electric; blender or food processor and purée until smooth.
- Pour the tomato mixture into the pot with the noodles and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the stock and simmer covered until the noodles are tender, 5 to 10minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper and stir in the sherry if desired.
- Serve with grated Parmesan on the side.