Makes 6 servings.
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- Melt butter in 2- to 3-quart saucepan. Add rice and cook over moderate heat until golden, stirring often.
- Add onion, pepper and garlic; cook until onion is soft but not brown.
- Stir in tomato; cook 30 seconds longer.
- Add broth and cumin. Bring to a boil; stir once or twice. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 15 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Salt to taste.