Contributed by Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Original recipe
- Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Makes 6 servings
- 1 pound lean ground beef or lean ground round
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup mild salsa
- Egg Beaters Egg Whites, 16 oz. container
- dash pepper
- 1 teaspoons margarine
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese, 2% milk, reduced fat
- salsa, sour cream and green onions (optional)
- Cook beef and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat until meat is browned and onion is tender; drain.
- Add chili powder and next 4 ingredients and simmer over medium-low heat 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are slightly tender.
- Whisk together Egg Beaters and pepper.
- Melt margarine in skillet coated with cooking spray, rotating pan to coat bottom evenly. Add half of egg mixture. As egg mixture starts to cook, gently lift edges of omelet with a spatula and tilt pan so uncooked portion flows underneath. Flip omelet over.
- Sprinkle one side of omelet with ½ meat mixture and ⅓ cup cheese. Slide out onto plate, folding omelet over filling. Keep warm and repeat process with remaining omelet.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream and green onions, if desired.
Cooking Tips Edit
- Alternatively, you can use 12 whole eggs. Here we've used Egg Beaters Egg Whites to reduce the total fat, saturated fat and cholesterol in the recipe.
- Raw green onions have, in a small number of instances, been connected to food-borne illness. The only reliable way to eliminate this risk is to cook green onions thoroughly. Sauté in a skillet for 2 minutes.
Nutritional information Edit
Analysis Per Serving
- Calories 261 (51% from fat) | Fat 14.8g (sat 5.3g) | Protein 27.0g | Carb 5.1g | Fiber 1.0g | Chol 259mg | Iron 3.5g | Sodium 387mg
- Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable | ½ fat | 4 lean meat