Makes 6 servings.
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 cups grated Monterey jack cheese, divided
- 8 ounces ground pork sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3⅓ cups well-drained cooked or canned pinto beans
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno peppers or ½ cup diced green chilis
- ¼ cup garlic flavor barbecue sauce
- sliced pimiento-stuffed , green pepper strips, and / or jalapeno slices for garnish, as desired
- Combine rice, eggs and 1 cup Cheese. Press firmly into greased 12-inch pizza pan. Bake at 450 °F for 20 minutes.
- While crust is baking cook sausage and onion in medium-size skillet until sausage is done and onion is soft but not brown. Stir to crumble meat. Set aside.
- Drain beans thoroughly. Remove ½ cup whole beans and reserve; mash remainder.
- Add garlic salt, jalapenos and barbecue sauce to mashed beans.
- Spread evenly over baked rice crust. Cover with sausage mixture. Sprinkle top with remaining 1 cup cheese, reserved whole beans and desired garnish.
- Bake 15 minutes longer.