Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Makes 4 servings (½ pepper per serving)
- 10 ounces 93% extra-lean ground beef
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 can (4 ounces) mild chopped green chilies
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ½ of 8-ounce can tomato sauce, divided use
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large green bell peppers, split in half lengthwise, seeds and stem removed (about 8 ounces each)
- 2 ounces shredded, reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (⅔ cup)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- Cook beef until browned.
- Remove skillet from heat and drain beef on paper towels.
- Return beef to skillet.
- Add onion, chilies, corn, cornmeal, ¼ cup tomato sauce, cumin and salt. Mix well.
- Arrange peppers, cut side up, in a 12 x 8-inch baking pan.
- Spoon equal amounts of the beef mixture into each pepper half.
- Spoon remaining ¼ cup tomato sauce evenly over each pepper half. Pepper halves will be very full.
- Bake, uncovered, 35 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Sprinkle each pepper half with equal amounts of the cheese (cheese does not have to melt).
- Serve immediately or cool and freeze.
- To freeze, place each pepper half in 1-quart freezer resealable plastic food storage bags.
- Release any excess air from bags and seal.
- Freeze bags flat for easier storage and faster thawing.
- To reheat, open the food storage bag and place on a microwave-safe plate.
- Cook on high for 3 to 3½ minutes or until hot.
- Remove from bag and place on plate.
Nutritional information Edit
- Cal.: 232 | Cal. from Fat: 32% | Total Fat: 8g | Sat 5g | Carb.: 19g | Protein: 21g | Chol.: 36mg | Sodium: 704mg | Fiber: 4g
- Dietary exchanges: 1 starch | 1 vegetable | 2 meat | ½ fat