Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Mexican-flavored beans on an oat and cornbread crust make an unforgettable dinner. Recipe from Oat Cuisine, ©1989 by Bobbie Hinman, Prima Publishing & Communications.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Makes 6 Servings.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⅓ cups cooked kidney beans
- 1 (8-ounce) can salt-free (or regular) tomato sauce (Nutritional analysis based on salt-free tomato sauce)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ cup oat bran
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 egg whites
- ½ cup skim milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup canned corn, drained
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray an 8-inch square baking pan with a nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic, onions, and green pepper.
- Cook 10 minutes, until onions are tender and start to brown.
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining topping ingredients.
- Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine oat bran, cornmeal, and baking powder.
- Mix well.
- In another bowl, combine egg whites, milk, and oil.
- Beat with a fork or wire whisk until blended.
- Add to oat bran mixture, mixing until all ingredients are moistened.
- Stir in corn.
- Spread crust mixture evenly in prepared baking pan (mixture will be loose).
- Spoon filling evenly over crust.
- Bake 35 minutes, uncovered.
- Cut into 6 squares to serve.
Nutritional information Edit
Per serving (1 Square):
- 264 Cal | 11 g Total Fat | 35 g Carb | 00 mg Cholesterol | 114 mg Sodium | 9 g Protein | 5 g Fiber
- Exchanges: 1 Very Lean Meat | 2 Starch | 1 Veg | 2 Fat