Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: www20.mayoclinicembodyhealth.com
- Serves: 6
- 2 small blood oranges or other oranges
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups mesclun or mixed young salad greens
- 4 red radishes, trimmed and very thinly sliced
- ½ small avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp crumbled blue cheese
- Working with 1 orange at a time, cut a thin slice off the top and the bottom, exposing the flesh.
- Stand the orange upright and, using a sharp knife, thickly cut off the peel, following the contour of the fruit and removing all the white pith and membrane.
- Holding the orange over a small bowl, carefully cut along both sides of each section to free it from the membrane.
- As you work, discard any seeds and let the sections and any juice fall into the bowl.
- Repeat with the second orange.
- When both oranges are sectioned, squeeze the membranes into the bowl to extract all of the juice.
- To make the vinaigrette, in a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons of the captured blood orange juice, the vinegar and the mustard.
- While whisking, slowly add the olive oil in a thin stream until emulsified.
- Whisk in the salt and pepper.
- Reserve any remaining orange juice for another use.
- In a large bowl, combine the mesclun, radishes and orange sections.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss gently to mix well and coat evenly.
- To serve, divide the salad among individual plates.
- Top each portion with slices of avocado and sprinkle with the cheese.
Nutritional information Edit
- 105 Calories | 3g Monounsaturated fat | 3g Protein | 2mg Cholesterol | 14g Carbs | 4g Fiber | 170mg Sodium | 5g Total fat | 1g Saturated fat
- Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight Pyramid Servings: 1 Vegetables | 1 Fruits | 1 Fats
- Diabetes Meal Plan Exchange: 1 Fruits | 1 Non-starchy vegetables | 1 Fats
- Dash Eating Plan Servings: 1 Vegetables | 1 Fruits | 1 Fats and oils