This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Mclean Estate in Irving, Texas in 1982.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- an Original Old Swans Down Cake Recipe
- 2¾ cup sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ teaspoon orange extract
- ¾ teaspoon almond extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk unbeaten
Festive frosting Edit
- 2 egg whites unbeaten
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1½ teaspoons light corn syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease and lightly flour tube pan.
- Sift flour before measuring.
- Measure dry ingredients into sifter.
- Stir shortening in bowl just to soften then sift in dry ingredients then add milk and flavoring and mix until all flour is dampened.
- Beat for about 2 minutes at low speed then add eggs and yolk and beat 1 minute longer at low speed scraping down sides of bowl often.
- Turn batter into pan then bake at 375°F for 1 hour until done.
- Cool cake in pan for 15 minutes then loosen from sides of pain with spatula and turn right side up on rack to cool before frosting.