Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Mclean Estate in Irving, Texas in 1982.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- an Original Old Swans Down Cake Recipe
- 2¾ cup sifted cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ teaspoon orange extract
- ¾ teaspoon almond extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk unbeaten
Festive frosting Edit
- 2 egg whites unbeaten
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1½ teaspoons light corn syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease and lightly flour tube pan.
- Sift flour before measuring.
- Measure dry ingredients into sifter.
- Stir shortening in bowl just to soften then sift in dry ingredients then add milk and flavoring and mix until all flour is dampened.
- Beat for about 2 minutes at low speed then add eggs and yolk and beat 1 minute longer at low speed scraping down sides of bowl often.
- Turn batter into pan then bake at 375°F for 1 hour until done.
- Cool cake in pan for 15 minutes then loosen from sides of pain with spatula and turn right side up on rack to cool before frosting.