Adapted from Betty Crocker's International Cookbook. We had something similar at a wonderful local Swiss restaurant.
- 3 egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup heavy cream, chilled
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1½ cups sliced strawberries
- Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy.
- Beat in the sugar, 1 tbsp at a time; continue to beat until stiff and glossy.
- Don't underbeat! using a ¼ cup measure, drop small mounds of meringue batter onto the parchment.
- Try to get then into circular or oval shapes, using an icing spatula if needed.
- Bake at 225 f (preheated) for 1 hour, then turn off the oven and leave them inside for 1 hour without opening the oven door.
- Remove meringues from baking sheet and press an indentation in the base of each- using your thumb gently.
- Let cool to room temp.
- Beat cream and powdered sugar together until stiff.
- Rold ¼ of the sliced fruit into the whipped cream and use to fill the indentations on the cooled meringues.
- Decorate with remaining berry slices.
- Fill meringues only when ready to serve.