Makes 8 servings.
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 4 cups milk, divided
- 3/4 cup Sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 20-ounce can pineapple chunks, drained and quartered
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- red currant jelly
- Combine rice, 3 cups milk, 1/4 cup Sugar and salt.
- Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, about 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Beat egg yolks; add remaining 1 cup milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Stir into rice mixture. Cook about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in pineapple. Pour into buttered shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- Beat egg whites until foamy; gradually add 1/2 cup Sugar, cream of tartar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
- Beat until stiff but not dry. Swirl lightly on pudding.
- Bake at 400 degrees about 5 minutes.
- Top with dollops of red currant jelly. Serve warm or cold.