For this dip, based on the Mexican queso fundido, you will need to use a flameproof dish set over candles or Sterno to keep the cheese melted. Kevin Taylor, Chef of Cafe Iguana, Denver, Colorado also offers guacamole with the chips.
- Contributed by World Recipes Y-Group
- Serves 12.
- 2 pounds Monterrey jack cheese, grated
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1⅓ cups beer
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 teaspoons minced jalapeño chiles
- blue corn tortilla chips
- Place cheese in large bowl.
- Add flour and toss to coat.
- Bring beer to boil in heavy large saucepan.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add 1 handful of cheese to beer; stir constantly until cheese melts.
- Repeat with remaining cheese; stir until thick and creamy (do not boil).
- Stir in cilantro and chilies.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into flameproof baking dish.
- If desired, preheat broiler.
- Broil cheese dip until top is golden, about 2 minutes.
- Set dish over candles or Sterno on serving table.
- Serve with tortilla chips.