Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Most Zambian people always have a number of salads to compliment the meats. To serve, decorate with mint sprig. The salad is no exception.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1½ cups water or fruit juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 spanspek (use cantaloupes if in the USA)
- ¼ watermelon
- salt, pepper
- 2 tablespoons muscadel or port
- mint, for serving
- In a small saucepan, place the sugar, water, lemon juice, vinegar, and ginger.
- Heat to a boiling, stirring well.
- Continue boiling for about 5 minutes, then strain.
- Syrup through a fine sieve or cheesecloth into a bowl.
- Meanwhile, de-seed the cantaloupes and watermelon.
- Using a melon baller, collect melon balls and place in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then sprinkle on the muscatel.
- Toss gently.
- Pour syrup over balls and refrigerate for several hours before serving.
- To serve, decorate with mint sprig.