Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Melktert. Good traditional Zambian and South African custard pie recipe. Try it!
This is no Quick Melktert (microwave) recipe. This is the game traditional Zambian way.
- 4 oz flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 oz butter
- 2 egg yolks
- pinch salt
- 1 pint milk
- 8 oz sugar
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 3 egg whites
- 1 oz butter cinnamon and Sugar
- Rub butter into sifted flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add egg yolks and enough milk to make a stiff dough.
- Roll out thinly and line one large or two small cake pans.
- To make filling, dissolve corn starch in a little of the milk and boil the remaining milk together with the sugar.
- Pour milk/sugar onto the corn starch mixture and cook for 3 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Stir in the butter.
- Cool slightly then fold the stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour the mixture into lined cake pans, sprinkle with Sugar and cinnamon, and bake in a 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes.