Melktert. Good traditional Zambian and South African custard pie recipe. Try it!
This is no Quick Melktert (microwave) recipe. This is the game traditional Zambian way.
- 4 oz flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 oz butter
- 2 egg yolks
- pinch salt
- 1 pint milk
- 8 oz sugar
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 3 egg whites
- 1 oz butter cinnamon and Sugar
- Rub butter into sifted flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add egg yolks and enough milk to make a stiff dough.
- Roll out thinly and line one large or two small cake pans.
- To make filling, dissolve corn starch in a little of the milk and boil the remaining milk together with the sugar.
- Pour milk/sugar onto the corn starch mixture and cook for 3 minutes, stirring all the time.
- Stir in the butter.
- Cool slightly then fold the stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Pour the mixture into lined cake pans, sprinkle with Sugar and cinnamon, and bake in a 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes.