Eggplants with garlic and tomato. The following recipe comes from the island of Zakynthos (Zante). It serves 2 – 3 persons. It might be slightly different from the original recipe, but still the ingredients that are used are the same.
- 4 large round eggplants, cut along side in pieces
- 4 tomatoes, mashed
- 6 garlic cloves, mashed in a mortar or with a fork
- 50 ml vinegar
- cheese (ladotyri from Zakynthos should be used. use a slightly piquant cheese if ladotyri cannot be found)
- olive oil
- Fry eggplants in plenty of olive oil.
- eggplants absorb plenty of oil.
- Fry until eggplants get brown and tender.
- Add water if you do not want to use too much oil.
- In another saucepan heat olive oil (much less than the portion that you use for frying the eggplants) and add tomato mash and half of the garlic.
- Add salt and pepper for taste and bring to boil.
- Add eggplants into the saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While you simmer the eggplants with the tomato and garlic whiz in a blender the vinegar with the rest of the garlic.
- When eggplants are ready, remove from heat and pour the vinegar and garlic mixture over them.
- Season eggplants with oregano and stir them well.
- Cut some medium size pieces of cheese and add into the saucepan.
- Let cool and serve.