Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Stuffed aubergines (little shoes)
- Serves six.
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 lb minced meat
- ½ cup grated cheese (whatever Greek hard cheese you can get)
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tsp dry breadcrumbs
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2¼ lbs aubergine (about 12)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup Bechamel sauce
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- chopped parsley
- 1½ cups tomato sauce
- Brown onions and meat lightly in butter, stirring constantly.
- Add tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Cook covered for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add parsley, egg, ¼ cup cheese and bread crumbs.
- On the 'top' of each aubergine, peel an inch strip from one end to the other and make an incision along strip to within an inch of each end.
- Place in baking dish and bake in moderate oven (about 350°F) until soft and light brown (about 30–45 minutes).
- Insert knife blade into incision and stuff with meat mixture.
- Prepare bechamel sauce.
- Pour about a tablespoon on top of each aubergine.
- Sprinkle with additional grated cheese and dot with butter.
- If desired, add tomato sauce to the pan.
- Bake in a moderate oven for about 35 minutes.