My version of the Basic meat Pie is from www.godecookery.com. I have successfully made this three times.
- 1½ lbs beef (any or all of beef, pork, rabbit venison, etc. — just 1½ lbs total. However, sirloin steak turns out the best).
- 1 cup grated cheese
- ½ cup currants or raisins (or any other dried fruit)
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon bell peppers
- ½ – 1 cup broth (whatever most of the meat is)
- 1 dash cooking wine
- 1 x 9-inch pie shell (with lid)
- Broil the meat until very rare, but cooked through.
- Cut it into small cubes.
- Mix with all other ingredients except the pie shell.
- For the broth, just add enough to make the mixture a little wetter.
- Put the mixture into the pie shell.
- Be sure the shell lid is sealed, and punch some holes in the top with a knife.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes to an hour, till the shell is golden brown.
- Makes 6 – 8 slices, and can be served any temperature.
- It is easiest to cut when cold.