Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 1 cup dried pinto or kidney beans
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 6-ounce can no-salt added tomato paste
- ¾ cup water
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Place beans and 3 cups of water in saucepan.
- Bring to boil and cook 2 minutes.
- Do not drain.
- Set aside for 1 hour, then return beans to heat, adding water to cover if necessary.
- Simmer for 1 hour, or until beans are tender.
- Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large, deep skillet or stockpot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and bell pepper.
- Cook until onion is translucent.
- Add beans and remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 1½ hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaf.