Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This soup beefs up the health by using chicken with lean beef to lower the fat.
Keep the Beat: Heart Healthy Recipes by the National Heart, Blood, and Lung Institute, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 8
- ½ lb ground chicken
- ½ lb ground lean beef
- 10 cups water
- 1 tbsp annatto (also called achiote), optional, for coloring
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp mint
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- ½ tsp oregano
- 4 tbsp instant corn flour
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 cups cabbage, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 package (10 oz) frozen corn
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium chayote, chopped (added zucchini can be used instead)
- ½ cup cilantro, minced
- In large pot, combine water, annato, bay leaf, half of onion, green pepper, and ½ teaspoon of mint.
- Bring to boil.
- In bowl, combine chicken, beef, other half of onion, tomato, oregano, corn flour, pepper, garlic, and salt.
- Mix well.
- Form 1-inch meatballs.
- Place meatballs in boiling water and lower heat.
- Cook over low heat for 30–45 minutes.
- Add carrots, chayote, cabbage, and celery.
- Cook over low heat for 25 minutes.
- Add corn and zucchini.
- Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and rest of mint.