This soup beefs up the health by using chicken with lean beef to lower the fat.
Keep the Beat: Heart Healthy Recipes by the National Heart, Blood, and Lung Institute, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- Serves: 8
- ½ lb ground chicken
- ½ lb ground lean beef
- 10 cups water
- 1 tbsp annatto (also called achiote), optional, for coloring
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp mint
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- ½ tsp oregano
- 4 tbsp instant corn flour
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 cups cabbage, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 package (10 oz) frozen corn
- 2 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium chayote, chopped (added zucchini can be used instead)
- ½ cup cilantro, minced
- In large pot, combine water, annato, bay leaf, half of onion, green pepper, and ½ teaspoon of mint.
- Bring to boil.
- In bowl, combine chicken, beef, other half of onion, tomato, oregano, corn flour, pepper, garlic, and salt.
- Mix well.
- Form 1-inch meatballs.
- Place meatballs in boiling water and lower heat.
- Cook over low heat for 30–45 minutes.
- Add carrots, chayote, cabbage, and celery.
- Cook over low heat for 25 minutes.
- Add corn and zucchini.
- Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and rest of mint.