- Original recipe
- Makes 4 servings
- ½ frozen puff pastry sheet (one-fourth of a 17¼-ounce, 525 g, package), defrosted
- 1 pound (480 g) ground beef sirloin
- 6 ounces (180 g) mushrooms, sliced
- 1½ cups frozen chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) crushed dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons (18 g) all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups (360 ml) fat-free low-sodium canned beef broth
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) bottled steak sauce
- ½ cup (72 g) frozen peas, rinsed with cold water and drained
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C), gas mark 8.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to 6-inch (15 cm) square.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into twelve ½-inch strips.
- In a heavy skillet over medium-high heat, brown beef, mushrooms, and onion until beef is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle mixture with thyme and flour.
- Add beef broth and steak sauce; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in peas.
- Spoon mixture into individual casserole dishes about 5 inches (12.5 cm) in diameter.
- Arrange two pastry strips in a wide x over each casserole.
- Place a third strip across the center.
- Press overhangs firmly to sides of casseroles to seal.
- Bake until pastry is puffed and golden brown, about 12 minutes.
Nutritional information Edit
- 430 calories (47% calories from fat) | 29 g protein | 22 g total fat (5.8 g saturated fat) | 28 g carbohydrate | 3 g dietary fiber | 41 mg cholesterol | 219 mg sodium
- Diabetic exchanges: 3 lean protein | 2 carbohydrate (1½ bread/starch, 1 vegetable) | 2 fat