- Fry the bacon and onion over a low heat until the onion is soft.
- Add the chopped steak.
- Pour in the water and season with the salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Then add the celery.
- Cover and simmer for about 1½ hours.
- Mix the flour with a little water to a smooth, runny mixture (roux), then stir this into the meat mixture.
- Stir until the mixture thickens.
- Pour into a deep pie dish.
- If you are making small pies, then line small pie dishes with the pastry and fill them with the meat mixture.
- Wet the rim of the pie with milk or beaten egg.
- Place a layer of pastry on top of the pie to form a lid.
- Trim the lid to the shape and size of the pie dish.
- Press the edges together with a fork to seal.
- Make some steam holes in the top and glaze with beaten egg or milk.
- Bake in a hot oven for 30 – 40 minutes (maybe less for the smaller ones).