Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
- 4 cup packed, finely shredded cabbage (about 1 pound)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (½ cup)
- 1½ tbsp corn oil
- 1 cup packed shredded carrot (2 medium)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (1 heaping tablespoon)
- ½ lb ground round or lean ground beef
- 1 egg white
- 1 whole egg
- ⅓ cup bread crumbs, preferably whole wheat
- 1 tsp dried basil, crumbled
- ¼ tsp oregano, crumbled
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 cup packed shredded potatoes (2 medium)
- Sauté cabbage and onion in the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring them often, for about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and saute the vegetables for 5 to 10 minutes longer or until cabbage begins to turn golden.
- Add the carrots and garlic; saute the vegetables another 5 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from the heat and let them cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl,combine the beef with the egg white and whole egg, bread crumbs, basil, oregano, black pepper, water and vinegar.
- Add the cooked vegetables and shredded potatoes to the beef mixture.
- Mix ingredients well.
- In a shallow baking pan, shape the meat and vegetable mixture into a loaf about 8" long.
- Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake the meat loaf in a preheated 350°F oven for 30 minutes.
- Uncover the meat loaf and bake it 30 minutes longer.
- Let the meat loaf rest for about 15 minutes before slicing it.