- 1 tbsp oil
- 100g/4oz Minced Beef
- 100g/4oz Minced Pork
- ½ Onion, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1 small Green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- ¼ teasp Ground cumin
- ½ teasp freshly chopped thyme
- ½ tbsp capers
- For the dough
- 300ml/10fl.oz. Warm water
- ¼ teasp salt
- 225g/8oz masa harina flour
- Preheat the oven to 200C, 400F, Gas Mark 6.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan, add the meat, onions, garlic, chilli, tomato, cumin, thyme, and salt, and cook over a medium heat, for 30 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Meanwhile, place the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl and gradually add the warm water, mixing to form a stiff dough.
- Leave to stand for 5 minutes.
- Knead the dough for a couple of minutes then form into 4 balls.
- Flatten with the palm of your hand so they measure about 7.5cm/3-inches in diameter and are about 18mm/¾-inch thick.
- Heat a little oil in a large frying pan, add the arepas and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until crisp and golden, turning 3 or four times.
- Remove them from the pan and drain on kitchen paper then transfer to a baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes.
- Stir the capers into the meat mixture.
- To serve – split the Arepas in two, place on serving plates and top with the meat mixture. Serve very hot.