Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Cypriot Easter Soup
- 1½ lb lamb on the bone
- 8 cup water
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks with leaves finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely-chopped parsley
- ½ cup rice
- 3 egg yolks beaten
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- juice of ½ lemon
- salt to taste
- freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Cut the lamb off the bone and chop it coarsely.
- Put the meat, the bones, the onion, and the celery into a large saucepan and cover with the water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer.
- Skim any froth and discard.
- Cover the pot and cook for about an hour.
- Stir in the rice and the parsley, cover, and cook for about 25 more minutes, until the rice is very tender.
- Remove bones and discard.
- When ready to serve, whisk the egg yolks, cornstarch, and milk together until smooth, then whisk it slowly into the soup.
- Let the soup cook, uncovered, for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in the lemon juice, season with salt and pepper to taste, then ladle into bowls and serve immediately.
- Serve hot to 4 to 6 people.
- It's also wonderful reheated - so long as you reheat carefully and don't curdle it.