An island flavored side dish! It can be prepared in advance - cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or wrap in foil and freeze for up to a month. Defrost overnight in fridge, bring to room temperature (2 hours) then bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
- 4 lbs cooked sweet potatoes, about 5 large ones, skinned
- 1 (14 ounces) can coconut milk (regular or light)
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1½ teaspoons white pepper
- ½ cup crushed pineapple, well drained
- ¼ cup chopped fresh coriander or parsley
- 1 lime, peel of finely grated
- 1 dash hot sauce
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- Mash potatoes in a large bowl until almost smooth.
- Stir in coconut milk and seasonings and mash until smooth.
- Stir in next 4 ingredients, test for seasoning, turn into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dishand spread evenly.
- Sprinkle coconut over the top.
- Bake in the center of a preheated 350 °F oven for 30 – 35 minutes.
- Broil until the top is golden, about 3 or 4 minutes.