Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
This dish is normally served refrigerated with the beef very cold, which makes for much easier slicing and serving.
- 2 beef sirloin, boneless, 1"
- 4 eggs, hard-cooked - wedged
- ½ garlic clove - crushed
- 1 large onion - sliced in rings
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp parsley - chopped
- 1 tsp thyme, dried
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 6 large carrots - quartered lengthwise
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2½ cups beef stock
- pepper, black
- 12 oz spinach, fresh
- Prepare beef by slicing each steak horizontally to within ½" of the opposite side.
- Fold open, place in shallow dish, one atop the other.
- Combine garlic, vinegar and thyme.
- Pour mixture over beef, cover, and refrigerate for 6 hours to thoroughly marinate.
- Meanwhile, cook carrots in salted water 20 minutes or until nearly tender.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Remove beef from marinade, pat dry with paper towels.
- Remove beef from marinade, pat dry with paper towels, place with long side of each steak overlapping 2 inches.
- Pound overlap together with meat mallet.
- Spread spinach over entire surface.
- Arrange cooked carrots crosswise over spinach.
- Sprinkle with parsley, salt, red pepper, egg wedges and onion rings.
- Roll beef and filling, tie with kitchen string at 3" intervals.
- Place in large roasting pan, pour oil over and beef stock around beef.
- Cover, roast 1 hour; adding more stock as needed.
- Cool 10 minutes, remove string, slice beef and strain cooking liquid.