Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Portugese Sweet Bread
- Contributed by Cat's Recipes Y-Group
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- ¼ cup water, lukewarm
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 cups flour
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add milk to sugar, butter and salt, stir until butter is melted.
- Mix cinnamon and flour.
- Add ½ flour to the milk, sugar, butter and salt and mix until smooth.
- Beat 3 eggs and add them and the yeast to the mixture.
- Continue to add remaining flour to make soft dough.
- Remove it from the bowl and place on floured board.
- Knead until smooth and satiny (about 15 minutes).
- Shape into a ball and place in buttered bowl.
- Cover and let rise until double in size for 3 hours.
- Punch risen dough down and divide it in half.
- Place in two greased pans.
- Let rise in warm place until double in size approximately 2 hours.
- Brush tops of dough with remaining beaten egg.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 20 – 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on wire racks.