- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 10 peppercorns, black
- 1 onion, small and chopped
- ¾ cup lentils
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Boil 2½ cups water in a saucepan.
- Add turmeric, garlic, peppercorns, onion, lentils and 1 tsp salt.
- Bring to a boil again.
- Turn heat to medium-low and simmer until lentils are cooked and most of the water had dried up (about 20 minutes).
- Mash or grind lentils completely using a little water if necessary.
- Return lentils to saucepan.
- Pour in 6 cups water and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat on to medium-low and simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and salt to taste.
- This soup can be eaten as is or with boiled rice.