Rice with onion
- Prep Time: 7 minutes | Total Time: 47 minutes
- Serves: 5 – 6
- 2 cups white basmati rice
- cold water
- 1 tablespoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup ghee (or butter)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pick over rice and wash gently with cold water until water runs clear.
- Bring 6 cups water to a boil in a large pot, add rice and salt and return to the boil, stirring occasionally to keep the grains separate.
- Boil for 8 minutes, the strain in a large sieve.
- Heat ghee or butter in a heavy pan and add onion.
- Fry gently until transparent, increase heat and fry until crisp and light coloured.
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
- Add half the onion to the pan and add strained rice on top and toss with a fork to mix onion through rice.
- Sprinkle the rest of the onion on top of rice.
- Cover well with aluminum foil and place in oven until done (if you feel the rice needs more moisture add sprinkles of water to the dish and place back in the oven until done) approximately 15 minutes.
- Fluff up with a fork and serve piled on a platter.